Sustainable Production: Locate Productions & albert9th April 2019
It’s becoming increasingly evident that the world needs to react quickly to the impending environmental challenges that we face. Here at Locate we have been looking at how we can make our production processes more sustainable and have teamed up with BAFTA to use their carbon management programme albert.
Earlier this year we gathered the Locate Productions team at our Clapham HQ, for a days Carbon Literacy training. It was an inspiring day, delivered by the ever enthusiastic Roser Canela-Was from BAFTA, who talked us through the subject as a whole, as well as introducing us to albert.
“albert is a collaborative BAFTA, indie and broadcaster backed project that provides the film and TV industries with the necessary expertise and opportunities to take action on environmental sustainability. The project aims for all UK screen content to be made in a way that benefits individuals, industry organisations and the planet. Delivered to reduce the environmental impact of the production process, to enable industry organisations to realise the environmental aspect of their stated vision and its implication for audience engagement.”
We also had a visit from Ben Knowles, one of the directors at PedalMe, who explained about their zero emission bicycle courier and cab service – great evidence of a sustainable product, with competitive pricing, thats as efficient as the more conventional motor vehicle options.
We even trialled it out with Lisa and Mike doing a ride around the block…
Although much work is needed we’ve put a number of things in place with the aim of making our production more sustainable. A lot of these ideas, along with others, can also be found on AdGreen’s website.
- dedicated recycling / rubbish bags on set
- switched to sustainable recycling / rubbish collections with Quantum Waste and Spotless Locations
- use of reusable water bottles on set, branded bamboo tea / coffee cups and KeepCups
- minimal printing and use of paper
- encouraged all cast / crew to use public transport where possible
- donate any wardrobe / leftover food to charities and / or local homeless shelters
- reducing the use of correx by switching from plastic floor coverings to Locamats or Ramboards when we can
- encouragement of low meat menus on set
- office composting scheme
- use PedalMe for couriers
We appreciate these are relatively small steps but are hoping to implement a number of other ideas moving forward:
- plans to switch energy suppliers to Good Energy in summer 2019
- implement the albert carbon calculator across the majority of productions
- establish a carbon offsetting scheme, working with various tree planting schemes around the UK and beyond.
There’s still more to do but we feel like we are heading in the right direction and the support from the team at BAFTA along with the use of albert has really encouraged and empowered us to keep making positive changes.