Thinking of becoming a shoot location owner?27th October 2017
Have you ever found yourself wondering about the houses you see on screen, or in your favourite magazine? ‘Where do they find them?’ ‘Is it just a set, or an actual home?’ At Locate, we use real houses owned by real people for our shoots, and are always open to discovering new locations to add to our location library.
If you’re curious about how it all works, or would like to register your own home with us, read on…
Being a shoot location owner can be extremely rewarding. Not only are you allowing yourself the opportunity to generate income from your property, you’re opening yourself up to meeting talented cast and crew members, and to seeing what goes on behind the scenes at a shoot. No two shoots are the same, and while there will of course be the more every-day shoots, the excitement that accompanies a day on set with a much loved household brand is incomparable. Not to mention the perk of possibly becoming a temporary home to leading talent – Andrex puppies, for example, or George Clooney and his beloved Nespresso.
Meeting the criteria
While every property is unique and beautiful in its own right, not every property is suitable as a location. For this reason, we can’t guarantee inclusion within our location library to everyone that gets in touch.
As a rough guideline, our ideal property features the following:
- Open plan space. This allows room for multiple camera angles, movement of equipment and a bigger crew
- Good accessibility. Crews will often be bringing along heavy equipment, so a 10th floor flat with no lift access would prove problematic!
- Good parking, either on the driveway, or nearby. Cannot be on a red route
If your property fits this outline, you may be perfect for us. Don’t worry if you’re unsure, though, or have something a little more unusual, we always assess on a case by case basis.
What to expect from a day on set?
If we do confirm a shoot with you, please be aware of the following:
- No two shoots are the same, so your experience with one client may differ from your experience with another
- Changes may be made to your home – often you won’t recognise your own home when used in a campaign. Our team are with you every step of the way, however, and will always ensure you are happy with certain changes being made. Upon leaving, crews will reinstate the property, so it is left as they found it
- Crew numbers will vary greatly dependent on the style of the shoot – TV shoots will require more hands than an editorial shoot, for example. We will work with you to determine what you’re comfortable with
- The possibility of 12 hour days, sometimes more (sometimes less!)
- We ensure the client provides pubic liability insurance, in case of accidents. We advise that valuables be put aside, to avoid any upset should a breakage occur. While accidents are rare, they do sometimes happen – any issues will be fully dealt with by our team, in a way that you are happy with
- When a client has hired your home, they will need access to it as pre-agreed. This doesn’t mean you can’t be at home, it just means the client will expect free reign in the agreed areas
While some enquiries can be slow moving and may not result in a confirmed booking, others will be keen to begin within a few days, or even that afternoon – we will always keep you informed throughout the process, so there will be no surprises.
What our location owners have to say
Sara – Location #8136
“Now that our kids are a bit older, it was time for me to think about going back to work. However, being a location owner allowed me to stay at home and keep on top of looking after the house and garden whilst still earning an income.
Working with Locate has been such a pleasure. Both Jo and Katie are always fun and friendly but also incredibly professional, offering advice and guidance where needed and dealing with any issues (which are rare) post shoot. I would really recommend Locate to anyone who is thinking of using their house for shoots.”
Jim – Location #4734
“I retired a while ago and was pleasantly surprised by what I can earn per day from a shoot. The cast and crew from Locate are always cheerful and friendly, and I enjoy seeing how it all happens behind the scenes.
The most challenging aspect of hiring out my home is when the shoots go into overtime and need the house for 12 hours or more. Locate will ensure payment for overtime, though, so I can’t complain!”
Get in touch
To speak to a member of our team about becoming a shoot location owner, send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0207 978 1688.
We look forward to hearing from you!